Monday, April 2, 2012

A Cartoon Network homage, what went wrong?

We'll miss you....
I vividly remember how I enthusiastically set myself in-front of a TV who had known better days at the early years  of the 21st century  to watch Edd Ed n' Eddy in the morning, even going as far as to copy their mischief and greedy habits. It was always sad to depart from this cartoon heaven as the last episodes of Tom & Jerry played; the classic animations of a cunning mouse and his impulsive dimwitted counterpart facing off in the most comic events that spanned a life time, I was amazed how my father (who was 50 at the time if I may ad) sat with me to watch the few memories of his childhood. Just look at the above picture, you cannot possibly deny the fact that these 80's and 90's marvels have not kept you company in deer times ?
Tom and Jerry title card for the Chuck Jones s... The ingenious comic tales that was looney tunes during lunch, the ridiculous yet entertaining stories of a dog scared of his own shadow and the wacky races at which no one knew who won the tournament. And who could forget the crazy bedrock family and it's Futuristic counterpart and it's delirious moments? Those where the days you can remember and tell the next generation in a proud voice as you reminisce the diverse cartoons spanning your childhood and decades before of animation craftsmanship and say; "My childhood shows where the best,they don't make them like that anymore". Perhaps you may even admit that your only interest in history back then was because of Time Squad... 
But... What went wrong?




The perfect mix of cartoon flavors I so admired was due to be replaced by newer and more profitable "shows". I still remember the day that they removed Looney Tunes, The authentic remnants of a great animation period for others I can't even remember anymore.  Weren't the old yet comically refreshed toons not good enough anymore? What about the like-minded children in that period that instantaneously spoke of "that one episode" they saw yesterday to their friends on the school yard every morning? It's funny how we accept change and then reject it after remembering what we had was better. I can't believe I was looking forward to those new shows at the time...

As time changes It went from "Cartoons are funny, they entertain you!" to the latest "Cartoons are cool,kids ! they can be funny in a dull way though! As long as it's new!". A seemingly normal theme that the new cartoon Network wears like a mantel of commercialized animation which goes in against everything it once stood for back in 1989. The fact is that Today's CN is a new kid on the block that still has much to learn from it's elder.

But then again years have past, I probably outgrow most of it and I certainly know now that what Dexter did in his surprisingly large Laboratory was not actual Math, or science for that matter.... But Still, I am  proud to say that  I watched all these 90's and decades of animated joy.
I thank you Old- Cartoon Network, for an awesome childhood.



M.







Requests/Questions? Click here






Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment